my three clay pots are never empty. one holds the heart, one the soul and the other creativity.

my three clay pots are never empty. one holds the heart, one the soul and the other creativity.

Monday, January 31, 2011

color values can be difficult



here is my attempt at ombre but the aqua and light green at the end of the spectrum should probably be reversed. its hard for me to see some values... but in b&w it shows up better. i suppose i should change it.... ahhhh.

20 comments:

Marti said...

When I look at the exquisite colors in this weaving, I feel as if I have just come up for air in a hidden grotto in the sea...the ombre colors are beautiful.

Eva said...

I prefer broken shadings. If it all looks like airbrush graphics, that's so darn boring. Down with perfection! This one is lovely.

jude said...

doesn't this remind you of those art exercises from school.

nandas said...

having already redone the color gradation once, based on your comments, i might just leave it... thanks eva... perfection is something i will never achieve anyway. and jude... school...well i'm in your school now.and dear lady of greens... marti... i'm glad this pleases you!

Storycloth said...

I think it enraptures more with some uneven gradation. In my eyes- fabulous as it is. Quite a big project Nan - impressive. Gilly

Els said...

This is really a beautiful piece! (Did you post this already on CWB, I didn't see it then ....)

Shishi said...

I'm glad that you're not changing this....it is sooo pretty just how it is. The colors are dancing.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad too that you're not changing it; the colours are perfect just as they are.

Els said...

Hi Nandas, did you see the link Jude made yesterday to Velma's blog and then on to "threadsoffeeling"???
I was SO moved by the dedication that spoke from those little snippets of cloth that were with the abandoned children .... (hearts too ...)

nandas said...

els..no i hadn't seen that until you pointed it out...i was so moved too... i was in an orphanage for awhile so i have a special spot in my heart for these children... on another level though those little scraps of fabric and ribbons were like orphans too.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

nance...i hope the decision stays
to keep it as is. the "perfect"
one would be an entirely different
feeling...of perfection
but this has movement and places
for the eye to travel to and from.
i think it is very very fine.
also...still have that question
about the placemats: will they
have larger pieces? larger strips
woven? guess you might get the
drift that i would very much like to see that. these colors....
ahhhh, these colors.

nandas said...

grace... don't know yet about the place mats... probably a good idea to make them larger. they will be hidden by the plates anyway...btw. the plates are a very dark cobalt blue.

Hoola Tallulah said...

wowsers, you have been whipping up a woven storm, it's very inspiring watching your progress!

Hoola Tallulah said...

Beautiful weaving and I love the colours, those greens are like a jungle spring pool, I almost want to dive in!

Nancy said...

I too like it this way and I am not even sure what the lesson or your goal was! I just think this is interesting like this. Dancing...yes. Moving in and out...yes. Beautiful...yes!

nandas said...

nancy, this was from cloth to cloth 2 from jude ... before my life took another turn! i have been debating whether to continue this blog... or start a new one... have to think on it for awhile. thanks for coming over though!!

Lorri Scott said...

I have always loved these gradations piece but never attempted one myself. I think you did good job!

You left a comment on my blog and I wanted to reply but don't have an email address for you nor see how to contact you. Would you please send me you email?

Thanks!

Lorri Scott

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

YOUHOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
testing...for your return
xoxoxox

nandas said...

hoola, shishi, karen and gilli... thanks for your support here... it did in fact stay the way it was and now i am going to be adding to it. sorry i never got back to answer awhile back... i'm here now though!!

nandas said...

lorri... its great to catch up with you!!! i am going to put my email in the profile part now... good point!