we went
to the beach for a week without internet, cable, telephone..except the mobile whose number very few have... it was the best week ever... so many things to show. but i have to first talk about the pelicans... the brown pelican is not commonly seen along the northwest coast except near westport, wa. in the fall. they are not local breeders but are powerful flyers and travel great distances in search of food, especially after the breeding season is over. this is according to birds of the pacific northwest coast by nancy barron and john acorn.
we were lucky enough to see literally thousands of these fascinating birds. every night we would walk to the ocean and sit and watch as groups of fifty or more would come flying by, sometimes within inches of the ocean and sometimes diving down into the water. we were lucky when one night they were landed on a little spit in front of us so we wandered down to see if we could photograph some... neither of us have really long lenses but we were able to get some decent pictures. the brown feather is my inspiration for jude's feather project. anyone can contribute... she is making something that will go to benefit children.
4 comments:
Nandas, how I envy you your beach holiday, and that beautiful feather is a wonderful inspiration. Can't wait to see your parch. I am finally at the needle and thread point!
We have white pelicans along the Columbia. They fly over me as I walk along the river and their shadow is huge. When they are floating down river in a row, they look like a line of "Z"s. I too envy your time at the beach. We spent a week every summer at Westport when I was young.
These are wonderful pictures. You say that you couldn't zoom in too much, but like the silent capture of so many...in shadow. It's beautiful.
When I was doing my long commute, I loved watching the pelicans zip and dive into the ocean on my way home each night. Such a sight!
my beach holiday is still with me. i'm glad i could share it with all of you... jeanne i would love to see the white pelicans. supposedly its rare to see them dive..at least on the ocean...maybe its just the river that they like.
Post a Comment