tammy asked about using organza so i thought i would say a few words about my process which so far has been successful.
first use silk organza. soak it in bubble jet... you can reuse what is left over . just pour it back in the bottle. let it drip dry. you can dye your organza first if you want.
when its dry, iron it well. cut some freezer paper and organza to larger than the 8 1/2 X 11 or whatever size your computer takes. then trim it very carefully with a sharp rotary cutter to the preferred size for printing. take the paper carefully to the printer. what you are being so careful about is you do not want any frayed edges. i place it in the computer and i hold a thicker paper over it so it goes smoothly into the printer... this is where you are likely to get an error... then print... you can scan or print from your computer...
normally, after letting let the ink dry, you peel the backing off and rinse the fabric... i have eliminated this step when i am printing on organza because i have found by ironing it the ink is set. i have not printed anything with lots of ink. also i am not intending for the pieces i use this on to be washed. i usually keep the printed organza on the freezer paper until i need it because you can see by the example above, it tends to fray. i suppose some starch would help. i don't mind the fraying here as it fits with the nature of the piece. i used starch in another piece and so far it has held up with a minimum of fraying. i suppose you could fuse it but i don't do that because i like the hand of the fabric.
so it is really simple. hope this is clear enough...don't hesitate to ask questions... thanks for asking, tammy. i am always happy to tell anything i know!
5 comments:
Hi Nance. I just realized after seeing Arlee's link to your blog that I hadn't yet been following and therefore was missing out on so much more of the pictures and process. Like I said earlier, "I'm so confused!" I think part of my problem is that as a visual person, I have a hard time connecting everyone to their work and personas without photos of them.
What kind of printer do you use? I don't do the bubble jet anymore since using the Epson dura brite inks, but on the other hand, my printer doesn't like to feed the fabric paper very well because it wraps around in a loop.
i should have mentioned that... i have an ink jet and its a canon mp 530. does yours have two possibilities for feeding? on mine, one is a quarter turn and thats the one i use. i should give the other a try... its a 180 degree turn. i find holding the freezer paper down with a thicker sheet of paper helps but i still get occasional screw ups. the threads are extremely important. i'm wondering if you used double stick tape just on the bottom where it feeds in, if that would work...not on freezer paper ..just regular paper, using a heavier paper to hold it in place as it starts to feed. am i clear as mud? i think its worth a try.
and i know what you mean about getting mixed up with people on various blogs and sites. and i am no help since here on the blog i am nandas and elsewhere nance and also nancy. i may be simplifying this when i move to typepad but that won't be for a long time...too much going on for awhile!
Hi, Nandas, thanks for stopping by my blog and suggesting Jude Hill and Spirit Cloth. I've been reading her blog from the beginning and I've been reconsidering the possibilities for certain techniques. I could tell you knew of her work by one of your lovely pieces!
best, nadia
Beautifully done - love the trees - all parts of this cloth. Thanks for explaining your technique.
Nandas, nance, nancy .. lol .. love all of your names. And thank you so much for this explanation!!! I LOVE IT!! and I was reading the discussion with Cheryl, I agree that using double stick tape is a great idea!! I have put fabric in my printer with out doing anything to the fabric and sometimes have used the fabric as the resist to get an image on the paper .. if that makes sense to you haha .. I guess I could post about that at some point. I have a bit of experience with printmaking so I am always loving any kind of process with printing of any kind!! Thanks for this post though!! I guess I should officially follow you so that I will know when you put up something new .. I never know when I have or haven't followed someone .. like you one day I will get it all together so I can keep track of who and where I post comments even. It can be overwhelming! lol ok .. I"m off to escape the heat.!! and see my grand daughters!! FUN!
Post a Comment