my three clay pots are never empty. one holds the heart, one the soul and the other creativity.

my three clay pots are never empty. one holds the heart, one the soul and the other creativity.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

details of roots

here are some close ups for details. i have used several of my own hand dyes and my photographs in this piece. the larger piece on the bottom is a commercial print by lonni rossi.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

This work has such depth, both symbolically and representational. What ran through me was the same feeling that I experienced several years ago when I saw Vincent Van Gogh's work at the Los Angeles Museum of Art, in particular, a series of paintings, called Undergrowth. The one print that I bought was Undergrowth, June-July 1889, Saint Remy. The painting is a series of trees in a meadow, shades of green and gold, leaves and undergrowth and standing in front of the painting, I felt myself drawn into it so that I was sitting underneath the tree in the meadow. One of the museum guards came over to me and asked me not to lean so closely toward the painting and I had not even realized that I had. It was such a powerful moment, I was one with the painting.

Same feelings stirred up in me as I look at "Roots" Nance. I melded into the undergrowth of your cloth; the roots with their intense color, color that you see as you walk deep into woods and stir up leaves and mossy earth with your steps. The bits of intense color with the greens, just speak to me of autumn, the earth turning, things settling down for the coming winter but before quieting down, a burst of color glory. In particular, the last image, the fringe like thread, moss . The yellow stitches on several of the frames, are they kantha stitches? To me, they look like lichen.

Earthy yet ethereal, powerful yet sublime. Amazing work Nance.

Unknown said...

On closer look, using the magnifier, I can see now that what I thought was yellow kantha stitches is really part of the Lonni Rossi photo? Is the process of transferring photos to cloth a difficult one Nance? This piece of cloth is so perfect for anchoring your roots.

nandas said...

no marti it isn't difficult to transfer a photo... it can be as easy as buying the prepared fabric.... i have used printed treasures before and it comes in organza and pima cotton... or you can prepare the fabric yourself after dyeing with bubble jet. you just run it through you ink jet printer. i have used this quite a few times with good results.
the lonni rossi fabric is a commercially printed yardage. she has good designs and this one worked perfectly for my purposes.